Wednesday, June 30, 2010

looking out for my "breast" interests

As the daughter of a 2-time Breast Cancer survivor, I have been extremely aware of the importance of a healthy lifestyle, self breast exams, early screenings, preventions and pretty much boobs in general since my early teens. While my elevated risk has been in the back of my mind for the past 11 years, it didn't become real until a couple of months ago when my mom tested positive for the genetic mutation of the BRCA2 gene, which makes you more prone to developing cancer of the breast, ovaries (and prostate if you're a guy.)

For me (and my 2 younger siblings) this means we each have a 50/50 chance of having the gene (assuming it isn't hidden somewhere in my dad's family...which would suck.) If I don't have the gene, my risk of developing cancer in my breasts or in my ovaries is still slightly elevated because of my family history. However if I do have the gene, my risk goes up quite a bit.

I'm not a big fan of numbers, statistics are impersonal and make you feel like you have no chance. As I've learned from my mom, every case of breast cancer is different, and statistics don't decide your fate. Trust me, I'm NOT sitting here convinced that I'll develop cancer someday, just because of some numbers. However, I am aware of the risk--which is why I'm trying to learn as much as I can about prevention, early detection and living the healthiest lifestyle I can to better my odds.

It took some time for me to decide if I even wanted to KNOW if I have the gene. It's not like finding out if your baby is going to be a girl or a boy. (Although I guess depending on your situation, possibly just as life-changing!) But after some time, I came to the conclusion that even testing positive for the gene isn't a death sentence, it's just information that will help me (and someday my kids) in the future.

With the decision to go ahead with the testing, I have a MILLION questions. Should I not be on the birth control pill? Should I think about prophylactic surgery and having all of my girl parts removed? Will breast-feeding still lower my risk if I do have the gene? Will my boyfriend break up with my if there was a chance of me not having boobs someday? (I already checked...he's not going to.) You get the idea...lots of questions, thoughts and fears--some ridiculous, some serious, but nonetheless constantly going through my mind.

I'd love feedback and advice...if you've got boobs or know someone who has them, you can relate :o)

1 comment:

  1. What a great blog Meg! Statistics can be scary, but you have the right mindset for sure. I had a medical issue that started at 16 resulted in a young hysterectomy at 27. Though not cancer (by the grace of god), I am intensely worried that my daughter will have problems one day. We were blessed to be able to have her, though we had to push our "starting a family" plans up quite a bit to do it. If she inherits my problems...I will be devastated but will at least she have a Mom help her through it, which is something I really could have used. No matter what lies ahead for you, you are blessed to have a Mom that can not only understand, but who can help you through anything. What a role model she is!

    April

    ReplyDelete