Monday, July 5, 2010

cancer isn't the only thing to fear, insurance is way scarier

When I made my appointment to get my genetic testing done, one of my first questions was, is my insurance premium going to skyrocket if I test positive? My parents had offered to pay for the procedure out of pocket so that the insurance company never knows, but a) insurance companies are sketchy as it is and I don't want to screw myself over later by not telling them, and b) my doctor told me I'd own the insurance company if they tried to raise my monthly rates at all. (So hopefully they do, I could end up filthy rich out of this whole ordeal!)

We are in an uncertain place concerning health insurance right now. With all of the changes--however good or bad they may be, there's no way for me to know what the rules will be in a few months or a few years from now. While my insurance rates may not go up now, will I get denied insurance benefits at the next job I have? My insurance is expensive enough as it is, can I afford a jump in my monthly payment? I guess we'll have to wait and see--after all, I pay for health insurance every month so that if I ever do have an issue, I will be able to afford treatments. An increased monthly payment would be way better than having to go into serious debt someday to pay for cancer treatments.

One thing my doctor did suggest I do is to open a life insurance policy before I have the testing done. She said that life insurance is completely different, and unlike health insurance, I can be denied a policy if I test positive for the BRCA2 gene. This freaked me out. The poor guy I called was just trying to ask me questions about my lifestyle and what kind of policy I was interested in and I was nervous and rambling about how I'm young and don't even have kids yet for my life insurance policy to take care of! Before this I hadn't given a single thought to life insurance for two reasons. One is because I don't plan on dying anytime soon and the other is who will my policy take care of if I do? Sampson? I guess it would at least cover the cost of his obedience school. But seriously, hopefully the guy doesn't think I'm too crazy and calls me back with a good policy at an affordable price.

It's tough having to look ahead like this since I don't really know what I'm doing or know what to expect, but I'd rather be safe than sorry!

2 comments:

  1. Meg, that is one of the reasons I chose not to have testing done---my fear of me or my family being denied health insurance because of pre-existing condition. We already know we have to be extra careful and get our check-ups, more frequently than others and also be aware of our own bodies and listen to what it tells you. I also was unable to get additional life insurance on myself. Sucks to have cancer and sucks to have to worry about finances along with health issues! But, Hey, on the bright side for me, I am still here after 20 years!! Hopefully with research and volunteers donating and working for the cause, the big "C" will be cured in your lifetime. Love you!♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. love you too sue! thanks for the input :o) i'm hoping to find a life insurance plan that works for me in the next week...just in case!

    ReplyDelete