Wednesday, July 7, 2010

i don't want to break up... i just need some space

So dairy and I have had this love/hate relationship for some time now. From a little kid refusing to drink milk, to a hormonal teenager eating Stewarts ice cream every night, dairy and I have been through it all in our 24 year long relationship.

In the past couple of months I've been researching what kinds of lifestyle changes I can make to lower my risk of developing breast cancer. In almost every article I read, I come across the suggestion to give up dairy products. I already don't eat meat, I've never been a fan of milk, and I already use soy milk as an alternative in my coffee. I've made the switch to soy yogurt and don't really have an issue with cutting back on dairy products...except for cheese. Mac 'n cheese, grilled cheese, pizza...I really don't know if I can live without it. I'm pretty sure if you put a plate of gnocchi al gorgonzola in front of me and told me I'd be doomed for life, you still wouldn't be able to find a single crumb left after about a minute and a half.

I don't believe that a healthy lifestyle is one where you deprive yourself. I've always followed the "everything in moderation" habit of eating. However, if cutting back on dairy will really stop my boobs from ganging up on me, then it's definitely worth a shot. Which is why I've come to the conclusion that I'll just cut back a lot, not give it up completely. Because I already know that I would fail miserably.

Besides, who wants to live a life devoid of pizza and grilled cheese and cheesecake? NOT me..

No comments:

Post a Comment